Thank you for contributing to the PLAY-OBJECT-PLAY database! We look forward to adding your contribution to the database in due course.
Our database is made up of toys and tools made for and/or used by children from subsistence societies. Before you start, please ensure that your contribution meets the following criteria:
- The object is a toy and/or a tool. We have defined tools as devices or implements used to carry out a particular function, usually held in the hand. We have defined toys as objects that children play with. These are not mutually exclusive categories. Objects such as clothes, adornments, or bedding unfortunately do not fit these criteria. If you are unsure whether the object you would like to submit fit our criteria, please first explore our database
- he community from where the object originates is a subsistence society, such as a hunter-gatherer, pastoralist, horticultural, or agricultural community. We welcome contributions from transitioning communities, but those from fully urbanized settings or those where subsistence activities are not practiced are currently outside the scope of our database
In the following form, you will be asked to provide detailed information regarding the object. This will include:
- Metadata such as information about you and the community where the object comes from
- A description of the object such as its name, size, and component pieces
- The object’s use such as whether it is a play object, its safety, and its social context
- The age and gender of the object user
- The manufacturing process including the age and gender of the manufacturer
- The learning context in which the object is embedded
In all cases, if you lack the relevant information, please leave the field blank.
If your desired option is not available in the dropdown menus of any of the fields, please select 'Other' when possible and specify the missing option in the ‘notes’ field at the end of the form.
In this section, we will ask you to provide information about yourself, the community, and the source of the object.
In this section, we will ask you to provide information about the object itself.
In this section, we will ask you to provide information about how the object is used.
In this section, you will be asked to provide information regarding the object user.
In this section, you will be asked to provide information about the object manufacturers and the manufacturing process.
In this section, you will be asked to provide information regarding whether the object is embedded within specific formal learning experiences.
In this section, you will be asked to provide images and a detailed report of the object. You will also be asked about sharing permissions.
Please read and agree to the following disclaimers before submitting your contribution.